It is time to start planning for the 2012 Let’s Grow Sitka Garden Expo. This year’s event will be from noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 11, at the Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall.
Linda Wilson is coordinating the event, and she is looking for anyone interested in participating. Table spaces are FREE. The only restriction is that your products, services, information, displays, demonstrations, etc., must be related to gardening or food production in Sitka.
Linda is looking for:
- Vendors selling garden-related products, including seeds, supplies, tools, books, accessories, …
- Vendors promoting/selling their garden-related services, such as greenhouse and cold frame construction, yard maintenance, …
- Vendors promoting/selling products and services related to small animal husbandry, such as chickens, ducks, rabbits, pigs, etc., …
- Someone to host a table, do a display or presentation/demonstration on the following topics:
- Growing root crops in Sitka (potatoes, carrots, etc…)
- Root cellars and other methods for storage of vegetables
- Fruit trees and berry bushes
- Raising chickens and ducks
- Composting and using compost
- Soils and soil amendments
- Edible flowers and ornamentals
- Cold frames and other small garden structures that extend the growing season
- Seed swap and share table
- Hosting a children’s activity such as decorating a pot and planting pansy, violet, viola seeds to take home. Or ???
- Garden pests — slugs, root maggots, etc., …
- Proper garden drainage – how to construct garden beds to drain properly
- Anything else you can think of that relates to growing food in Sitka, …
Please consider volunteering to host a table or to be a vendor. We want to make this a bigger and better event for this year, and to get more people inspired to start or expand a garden. Last year we were unfortunate to be scheduled during the same week as Spring break, but NOT this year!
Please let Linda know, at your earliest convenience, if you would like to reserve a table or booth space. Linda can be reached at email@example.com or 747-3096 (evenings and weekends).