If you know of someone with an impressive garden, take a picture or two and e-mail the photos by Sept. 11 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us why you think the nominated garden is one of Sitka’s best, and don’t forget to tell us the owner of the garden and address (NOTE: if you’re nominating a neighbor, please double-check with them to make sure they want their garden nominated). The Sitka Local Foods Network focuses on food production, but there is a category for flower gardens.
Hopefully we’ll get enough nominations so we can create an informal garden tour of Sitka to show how people are growing their own food. The better gardens will be featured here in a photo slideshow toward the end of September.
Here are some categories to consider:
- Best of show (top overall gardens in Sitka)
- Biggest variety of food (most different kinds of food)
- Most productive garden (which garden produces the most food)
- Best looking food garden (for productive gardens that really look nice)
- Most unique plants (who grows stuff in Sitka nobody else grows)
- Best use of limited space (for apartment dwellers and container gardens)
- Best greenhouse
- Best flower garden
Again, e-mail a photo or two to email@example.com to nominate your favorite Sitka gardens, then I’ll post them on the site. Please help the Sitka Local Foods Network recognize the best gardens in Sitka.