The Sitka Local Foods Network education committee has chosen its two families for its new garden mentoring program, and will begin hosting classes for first-time gardeners at the homes of our selected families.
To protect the privacy of the selected families, they will be referred to as Family A and Family B and the locations of their gardens will be given when first-time gardeners call to RSVP for the classes. These free classes are open to all first-time gardeners in Sitka. Family A lives near the end of Halibut Point Road, and Family B lives midway down HPR. The classes will be similar at each location, so people wanting to participate only need to sign up for one class. New classes will be added as the spring/summer progress, so keep watching for more.
Our confirmed classes so far:
- Garden preparation class (choosing a location, building planters, soil and soil requirements, etc.), note a free planter box will be given to one participant in each garden-prep class.
- Family A, 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 23
- Family B, 4 p.m. on Sunday, April 27
- Planting class (easy-to-grow plants, how, where and when to plant, planting)
- Family A, 5 p.m. on Friday, May 2
- Family B, 4 p.m. on Sunday, May 4
For more information, contact Michelle Putz at 747-2708 or email@example.com.