Please join SEARHC Health Promotion in engaging with local foods during the bountiful summer season. The event begins July 2, 2018, and runs through July 31, 2018.
To register, you may download and print a registration form and activity logs below.
Eating local, nutrient-dense foods available in Southeast Alaska is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It has nutritional benefits as well as physical, mental, and cultural significance. Benefits may include:
- Local foods can be fresher.
- Local foods reduce your carbon footprint.
- Locally grown food is full of flavor.
- Local foods available in Southeast Alaska are full of nutrients.
- Harvesting and sharing foods can help create community.
- Getting outside and engaging with your environment can help improve your mental health & mood.
You may register at our Health Educators’ local office sites.
Fill out and turn local foods log(s) in to your designated site by noon each Monday in person, by phone, or email. (To email, scan or photograph your log or type your weekly activity into the body of the email).
Participants who turn logs in on time will be automatically entered to win a weekly prize.
Participants must be 18 or older to register, but we encourage families to harvest, process, eat, and share traditional or local foods together!
- Gathering local / traditional foods
- Processing local / traditional foods
- Eating local / traditional foods
- Sharing local / traditional foods with elders, family, and friends
- Gardening activities
If you have questions, please contact the Health Educator in your community.
- Haines: Kate Fossman, 907 766-6303, email@example.com
- Hoonah: Kenya Skaflestad, 907 945-2761, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juneau: Hannah Schlosstein, 907 364-4404, email@example.com
- Kake: Health Educator, 907 364-4404, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Klawock: June May, 907 755-4959, email@example.com
- Klukwan: Joanne Spud, 907 766-6319, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sitka: Heleena vanVeen, 907 966-8914, email@example.com
You must be logged in to post a comment.